Sunday, May 2, 2010

Philippians 4:13


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.



Cool.
I can be rich, I can be a movie star, I can have a wonderful vacation, I will have obedient children. How? Because of Christ!


Uhm…. Not really.


This can be an over used, poorly applied verse. When the word ALL is used, it means ALL. But the ALL is within the context of what the subject matter is. Paul in writing his benediction to the Philippian church is reminding them of his ministry. He has learned in all things, whether being ship wrecked, imprisoned, or when everything is going great, that he gets his strength from Jesus.


The focus of the sentence is that in the struggles of ministry, he has been able to endure through Christ. We can apply the same: When our kids make decisions that you know will eventually hurt them, God carries you through this. When the marriage is going through struggles, Christ gives strength. When everything is going well, thank God for his enduring power to provide.


When we focus our attention to our ministry in life (how we serve God, which could be as a mom, a worker, a missionary, a store clerk, and in my case a boiler operator) our strength comes from Him!


Shalom.

No comments:

Post a Comment