Sunday, March 21, 2010

Words-Ephesians 4:29


Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.


The second half of chapter 4 gives many great practices we can employ in or Christian faith - be nice, don’t steal, take care of the poor. Then the Lord asks us to make sure we talk nice to each other.


What a challenge this can be for me at times, especially to those I love the most. Lately I have been trying to guard and even plan every word I say. I tend to want center stage and have that witty comment, but there are times when that comment comes at the expense of someone else. Don’t get me wrong, I love a good laugh, but lately I have wanted to be extra careful to say things that encourage and build up.


Some have used this verse to say we should not swear. I don’t think that is even in focus here. When someone says “shucks”, “darn”, “heck”, or “fricken” when they are angry, what has changed? It is the cause of those words that is at issue, not the words themselves. I know many will disagree, and that is okay, but if given a choice I would rather utter a hundred 4-letter words than to say one thing hurtful to another person (in reality, the best choice is to do neither).


Some have also stated that this verse means we should not use strong words. But if strong words that call out a person’s actions leads to their repentance, is that not imparting grace?


The key word here is “corrupt.” It is a very descriptive word: Think of opening the fridge, grabbing that carton of milk, wanting to pour some on your fresh bowl of cereal. But when you do it is smelly and chunky. The cereal is useless and has probably taken your appetite with it. That is the word “corrupt” (Sapros is the Greek.)


When the words we use are useless, serving no other purpose than our own, then we are corrupt in our speech.


This goes far beyond any swear word.


Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment